Friday, October 27, 2017

An Interview with...Clarice Gomes

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/amanhecer


Once a week I post interviews with interesting people about their insights on their experience of working in the Knitting industry. I’ve noticed that every one of these individuals makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.

You can find
Clarice here on Facebook on Instagram as claricegomes.k. and here on Ravelry.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/despertares



Where do you find inspiration?
That depends: a new yarn, a new stitch, a different shape. Pretty much everywhere!


What is your favourite knitting technique?

I don’t have a favourite; but I don’t like bobbles.


Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?

I like to look at others designers work, there are so many and so good I always learn something or find a new detail I may explore later.


How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself?

Usually one sample (for now I design only accessories so it is enough) and, depending on the complexity, 4 to 8 testers.


Did you do a formal business plan?

No


Do you have a mentor?

No


Do you have a business model that you have emulated?

No


Do you use a tech editor?

No. I rely on my test knitters’ feedback to improve the pattern and find eventual mistakes. I am really lucky because they are so good!


How do you maintain your life/work balance?

As a part-time designer “the other” work and family life take most of my time. I use most of my free moments for knitting/designing related activities.


How do you deal with criticism?

Try to learn from it.


How long did it take for you to be able to support yourself?

That isn’t even an objective for now. But it pays my knitting expenses.


What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?

Be patient, it takes time.


What’s next for you?

That’s one of the wonderful things about being an indie designer: I'll design what I feel like designing (although I guess it will be a shawl)!

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/viajante-2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment