Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Stash-Down and Stash-Less

https://www.etsy.com/listing/515513591/my-stash-explained


I'm still picking away at my stash-down project. It's moving along slowly between my pattern development projects. I haven't got a firm timeline in mind but I have realized that the focus has resulted in a stash-less policy which I didn't specifically put in place. I've not made a single purchase from the yarn vendors who are often at my monthly guild meetings. I've also stopped buying the raffle tickets since the prize is so often yarn. I've been in yarn shops without buying as well. It's funny how one word can have such a big impact on one's strategy. 

At the last guild meeting I sat beside a friend who has been doing both stash-down and stash-less for at least a year. We discussed the problem of all those single skeins we buy from hand dyers which are often not enough for a project. It means buying more to make use of what you have, if there isn't a good companion yarn already in stash.

As you know from a previous post I have two patterns to address the blending of different yarn scenario.

I've just come across a blog series on stash which I would like to share with you. There are 17 extremely insightful posts on the topic here

They are written by Felicia, creator of The Craft Sessions. Her stash includes both yarn and fabric but her journey of discovery applies to all stash or hoarding. I hate to use that word but saying it to myself has had a positive impact on my behaviour. It seems the word stash sounds more innocent to my ears. The series runs from Oct 2014 to Sept 2015 and reflects her changing thinking throughout. I especially liked the post on restrictions and the one on desire. I've read widely in the area of positive psychology. When I first came across the idea that desire is actually a stress it was a light bulb moment for me. Even bigger is accepting that fulfillment of the desire doesn't lead to happiness! Take a look and let me know what you think.


1. Stash Less - A challenge
The original post where I talk about what and why.
2. Stash Less - The details of the challenge
Where I lay down the rules! For me - not for you ;).
3. Stash Less - Why we stash?
The reasons why I (and you??) start stashing.
4. Stash Less - Taking Stock
I took stock of the stash, what was there and how it came about.
5. Stash Less Challenge - Let it go, Let it goooo!
The one where we talk about recycling things that haven't worked.
6. Stash Less - An Update
A post where I talk about the interesting lessons I've learned so far about hoarding and using the things you love.
7. Stash Less - A Realisation
Where I talk about a bit of a shock I had as part of the process and what it means to change a habit.
8. Stash Less - Why Restrictions Rock!
A post about the upsides of Stashing Less - a big shakeup in the creativity department.
9. Stash Less - Selling Discontent
Where we talk about how desire and discontent affect our making and about the journey to move towards slow fashion.
10. Stash Less - A Habitual Practice
Where I looked at how my habits and making have changed since the start of the project and an update on the cash!
11. Stash Less - I May Have Found The Key
I've found out something really interesting about how to reduce my triggers for stashing - the key to freedom from desire?
12. Stash Less - Falling Off The Wagon
How and why I fell.
13. Stash Less - I Got A Gold Star
Where I finally get to the "special" stash.
14. Stash Less - Breaking The Habit
The keys to changing your habits.
15. Stash Less - Creating An Intentional Wardrobe
Details of the journey to "enough".
16. Stash Less - Not Just for the Holidays
About making the choice to continue.
17. Stash Less - Let's Talk about Desire
Talking about how desire influences behaviour.R

2 comments:

  1. I've been feeling this way for a few years. Great articles. Actually I've been doing a lot of her suggestions. I never buy sweater amounts any more unless I'm ready to start asap. The old sweater quantities I have I've used for other smaller projects, no judging. I created a spreadsheet on my spending and realized I was spending @$100 a month. I don't need that much yarn. My goal this year is to lower that amount. I don't purchase a pattern unless I already have the yarn. Shawls are great for using that beautiful skein you bought. Some shawls are made for me and others become gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a stash problem (yarn and spinning and dyeing - of course, the dyeing goes with the other two). I have 620 entries in my Ravelry stash (and that's not 620 skeins...that's entries, meaning that the sweater lots I have where I have 4 or 5 or 15 skeins of yarn...yeah...)...and that 620 doesn't include my fiber stash or my handspun stash. I have a closet full of yarn. I need to not buy for awhile....however, I am going to Wisconsin Sheep & Wool in September (flying home, 2500 miles)....and I anticipate I'll buy something. Probably not a whole fleece or anything but I know something will come home. I've basically limited my fibery purchases to festivals (Stitches West, Lambtown...). I am trying to be more mindful but it is hard.

    ReplyDelete