Monday, April 22, 2013

The Knitted Boyfriend



Buzzfeed has a quirky little video created by artist Noortje je de Keijzer posted. You can find it here. My husband showed me the video before I read the article and the first thing I noticed was that "the Girl's" knitting style looked very awkward. It turns out that the artist's mother and grandmother knitted the initial prototype. The final version was created by knitwear designer Sarena Huizinga  on an industrial knitting machine. The video maker is quoted as explaining this was "Partly because of practical reasons, and partly because I found it an exciting idea that a knitted man could just come out of a machine in one piece in a very short time, as if he was being born!"

I posted here on the same topic some time ago when I first realized that in installation artwork the knitting is frequently not created by the artist. So link on over, see the video and let me know what you think.

1 comment: