Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Used to be Afraid that I Would Die Young

I used to be afraid that I would die young like my Mother now I'm afraid that I will live to be old like my Father.

My Mother died of Ovarian Cancer when she was just a little older than I am now. I am very fortunate, due to the Familial Cancer Clinic at The Princess Margaret Hospital here in Toronto my younger sister and I had the genetic testing and we now both know that neither of us carry the gene. I was in my early 20's when we lost my Mother and even to this day typing these words brings tears to my eyes.

My Father is now 83 and has been diagnosed with Mixed Dementia. That means he has both Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia. It's a very sad disease to watch. There is a slow loss of his personality and he is often fearful as the world seems to spin around him in a way he can no longer comprehend. A nurse at the facility he is living at suggested that I go to some of the events that the Alzheimer's Society runs. I highly recommend that anyone in the same situation contact them at http://www.alzheimertoronto.org/They provide an outstanding level of support and practical advice as well as contact with many other families going through this difficult transition of relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment